Before You Begin
Rug Doctor machine and upholstery cleaning product are safe for many fabrics, even delicate fibres. HOWEVER, you risk damage to fabrics not intended for water extraction method cleaning.
Do not use or place the Rug Doctor machine or cleaning products on: Haitian cotton, leather or non-colourfast fabrics. Some stains require professional treatment.
Download the Upholstery Cleaning Instructions with photos in PDF format.
Prepare Upholstery for Cleaning
Prepare surface for cleaning by thoroughly vacuuming or brushing. Set up the machine, directing your attention to the hose connections at the rear.
- First, pull free the top portion of the large vacuum hose at the back of the machine. Then connect the top portion of the machine vacuum hose to the vacuum hose of the Hand Tool. Next, screw brass connection to small diversion valve, ensure it is on tightly to engage.
- Remove the UPPER (white) tank. Mix Rug Doctor Upholstery Cleaner with water in a clean bucket according to the label directions and POUR into the LOWER red tank.
- Fit Upper white tank back in place, seal tank and clear dome securely by replacing restraining wire.
- Plug in the power cord and position the machine. Refer to the label on top of machine and turn the machine ON for upholstery cleaning.
- TEST for colourfastness by first cleaning a small, hidden area, then rub the test area with a white towel. If no colour appears, continue cleaning. A little colour on the towel means there's some chance of colour running, but you probably can still clean safely. Dry cushions on sheets or towels laid out on the floor.
- Working at a slow, steady pace, begin cleaning by squeezing the hand tool lever as you pull the tool over fabric. Overlap strokes slightly. IMPORTANT: Do NOT depress the button on machine handle while using the hand tool.
- If foam builds up around the hand tool, pull a little bit faster or vacuum excess solution by passing over area a second time without squeezing lever.
- When cleaning is complete, disconnect the upholstery tool then empty any remaining solution by taking the machine outside or over drain and turn machine ON for upholstery, this will empty lower tank.
- Before returning to store, ensure machine is cleaned according to instructions at back of machine and vacuum hose is securely reconnected. Switch should be in OFF position.
NOTE: For velvet upholstery, fluff up damp pile with a soft brush or towel to keep from matting.