How To Videos
How To Hire
Hiring a Rug Doctor machine is so easy. Hire a rug doctor machine from Coles, Woolworths, IGA and Bunnings and in three easy steps, you can have cleaner carpets in no time.
How To Connect
Rug Doctor’s powerful motor vacuum and unique vibrating brush reaches deep into carpet fibers to remove dirt and allergens others leave behind.
How To Clean Carpet
The powerful Rug Doctor Machines are used every day by thousands of cleaning professionals, yet it’s lightweight and easy to use. Time and time again, customers are amazed at how much dirt the Rug Doctor Carpet Cleaning Machine extracts from carpets even though they had recently had their carpets cleaned by a professional service.
How to clean upholstery
Rug Doctor is great for carpets, but did you know you can use it on your couches, cars and caravans too? For all those hard to reach places, use the Rug Doctor Upholstery tool.
Make sure there is cleaning solution in the lower tank. If dirty water stops entering the upper tank, the lower tank is empty. Empty soiled water from upper tank and refill lower tank with fresh solution. Make sure small solution hose is still connected at rear of machine.
Make sure the plastic dome is properly sealed to the upper tank. Make sure the filter inside the clear plastic dome is clean. Check the large hose connection on the rear of the machine.
Make sure the machine is switched on. Make sure the cord is plugged in and the power switch on top of the machine is on. If power is still not restored, push the reset button. The reset button may be found either on the top or back of the machine. Check your home's circuit breakers or fuse box.
No cleaning solution
Upholstery wand doesn't work
The spray button is not working
The machine will not start
The vacuum is not working
Frequently Asked Questions
Price & Hiring
You can rent the standard Rug Doctor machine for around $39 on a 24 hour rental. (48 hour rentals are also available). Rug Doctor Carpet Cleaner costs from around $16 (1 litre bottle) which is enough to clean up to 3 rooms.
Millions already know about and have been renting Rug Doctor carpet cleaning machines for years. Now you can purchase the same powerful machine! The red rental Rug Doctor machines and the blue Rug Doctor machines have the same features, the same horse power, and the same amps. The only difference between the two is red machine is for the rental market and has an hour meter on it and the blue machines are available for purchase.
The blue machines do not have hour meters. The reason for the hour meter is for rental maintenance purposes only.
Yes, both the Mighty Pro and Wide Track machines are considered professional grade. Many hotels, businesses, resorts, restaurants and even contract carpet cleaning services use the Rug Doctor machine.
With proper care and maintenance, the machine is designed to last a lifetime. The outside covering of the machine is made of a durable thick plastic that can withstand hits and bumps without cracking. Rug Doctor blue machines are exactly the same as machines you rent from your local store only the colour is different and there is no hour meter. Rug Doctor rental machines can stay in circulation for over 10 years before retirement and are rented, transported and used several times a week.
Please show your Drivers Licence and a utility bill or bank statement with a matching address when hiring a Rug Doctor.
Deposits are not required at every store. If the store does require a deposit, the deposits may vary.
Some rental outlets do require a deposit to be left, this is mainly required in order to ensure that the Rug Doctor is returned in a clean condition ready for the next renter.
Yes, the hand tool comes free to use with the rental of the Rug Doctor machine. You do not need to take it if you are only going to clean your carpets. If you do use the hand tool kit please remember to bring it back to the store with the machine. Please take care when cleaning stairs.
Please use the Store Locator to find your nearest store location, its proximity to you and directions on how to get there from your home.
Rug Doctor Carpet Cleaners have been specially formulated for use with the Rug Doctor machine. Products that are not made specifically for a water extraction method of carpet cleaning should NEVER be used as damage to the carpet can occur. Carpets need a specific PH range of cleaning solutions that are both effective in loosening dirt yet they won't damage the carpet fibres.
Products that are not made for the kind of rinsing, brushing and extraction provided by the machine will leave residues once they dry that attract dirt.
The machine should NEVER be used on a carpet or anywhere where standing water remains from a flood or from other situations. Only carpets and upholstery that are damp, NOT water laden or soggy are safe for extraction. The machine is an electrical appliance. Extracting water from overly wet carpet could be a risk of electric shock. We recommend flood damaged carpet to be treated by the services of a commercial carpet cleaning technician.
You can clean Berber carpeting; however care must be taken not to over wet it. Berber carpeting’s tight, looped weave tends to hold much more moisture than cut pile carpets. Over wetting can create drying problems so you should make sure you are limiting your cleaning passes to one only. It’s a good idea to go over Berber a second time without pressing the spray button to give it an extra vacuuming only pass.
DO NOT use Rug Doctor Machines or Rug Doctor products on Oriental rugs, Silk hand-loomed rugs, Braided rugs, or Non-colourfast fabrics. Some stains require professional treatment.
No. Do not use the Rug Doctor machine on tile, cement or any other hard surface. (1) At the front of the machine is a hard metal surface that may scratch the hard surface flooring. (2) There is nothing on the machine to capture the water from moving about when sprayed on the surface; the machine does not contain a squeegee.
To clean the stairs you use the Upholstery/Hand Tool attachment. Set the machine to “ON” for Upholstery/Hand Tool cleaning and use Rug Doctor Carpet Cleaning solution in the tank.
For safety reasons we recommend only cleaning in an area that is flat, clean, and dry hard floor surface. For cleaning mats, it would be preferable do this on your concrete floor. Avoid using on any other outside surfaces.
Rug Doctor Machine and Upholstery/Hand Tool attachment is recommended on most mattresses with the exception of mattresses or mattress toppers made with memory foam, foam or goose down. You can clean your mattress using the Rug Doctor Upholstery/Hand Tool and Upholstery Cleaner product. It is very important in cleaning mattresses not to over wet them and allow plenty of dry time. We recommend you first set your mattress up on its side. Clean one side of the mattress, making sure you go over your cleaning paths a second time without squeezing the Hand Tool lever so that the second pass is vacuum only. Once you have finished one side of the mattress, leave the mattress on its side and let it dry completely before continuing to the next side.
The Mighty Pack Machine weighs approximately 15 kilograms empty.
Yes. For best results clean with the Rug Doctor Machine and hire the Upholstery / Hand Tool attachment for using on the car seats.
Yes, for fabric upholstered seats and bunks use the Rug Doctor Machine and hire the Upholstery / Hand Tool attachment.
Yes, if they are heavy-duty fabric, not a delicate fabric. We recommend Britex Upholstery Cleaners to be used in the machine for cleaning upholstery. Check for colour fastness of the fabric by doing a test patch in an inconspicuous area before cleaning.
Ideal for cleaning mattresses, for best results clean with the Rug Doctor Machine and use the Upholstery / Tool attachment.
DO NOT use the Rug Doctor Machine and Hand Tool or Rug Doctor products on Silk, Leather, Suede Leather or Haitian Cotton.
How To Use
If desired move furniture. Vacuum area you’ll be cleaning thoroughly with your own vacuum cleaner. Pre-treat problem areas: Spot Remover, Stain Remover or Odour Remover for localized spills and odours
Lean any furniture from the area you wish to clean. 1. Using your own normal dry vacuum cleaner, vacuum the area you want to clean to remove loose dirt before using the Rug Doctor machine. 2. Pre-treat any special problem areas with the appropriate Spot, Stain or Odour Remover.
- Mix Rug Doctor Carpet Cleaner with hot tap water in a clean bucket according to product label directions. Water should not be so hot as to scald or burn skin. The tank capacity is 9 litres.
- Lower the restraining wire and remove the white upper tank.
- Fill the LOWER red tank with the cleaning solution mixture by pouring it through the filter screen. The machine is full when liquid reaches the ‘Fill to here’ line half-way in filter screen.
- Fit white tank back in place. Seal the tank and clear dome securely by replacing restraining wire.
- Check the back of machine to make sure hose connection is secure.
- Plug the power cord in and position the machine.
- Using your own normal dry vacuum cleaner, vacuum the area you want to clean to remove loose dirt before using the Rug Doctor machine.
- Pre-treat any special problem areas with the appropriate Spot, Stain or Odour Remover.
- Refer to the label on top of machine and turn machine “ON” for carpet cleaning.
- While holding down red button on very top of handle, or depending on the model, squeezing the red trigger, pull machine at a steady pace backwards in a straight line, keeping the front metal vacuum slot against carpet surface. You will begin to see dirty water entering the clear dome after a few seconds.
- Release red button 30cm before the end of cleaning pass to ensure spray stops but it continues with suction. Tilt the machine back slightly and move forward to position it for another cleaning pass. Overlap passes 5cm to ensure even cleaning.
- The tank is empty when you hear the machine sound change and dirty water stops entering the clear dome. Stop and empty the UPPER white tank and refill the lower red tank with another cleaning solution mixture. Continue cleaning.
- When cleaning is complete, empty any remaining solution by taking machine outside or over drain and turn machine ON for upholstery, this will empty lower tank.
- Before returning machine to store, ensure machine is cleaned according to instructions at back of machine. Switch should be in OFF position.
Rug Doctor machine and upholstery cleaning product are safe for many fabrics, even delicate fibres. HOWEVER, you risk damage to fabrics not intended for water extraction method cleaning.
Do not use or place the Rug Doctor machine or cleaning products on: Haitian cotton, leather or non-colourfast fabrics. Some stains require professional treatment.
Prepare surface for cleaning by thoroughly vacuuming or brushing. Set up the machine, directing your attention to the hose connections at the rear.
- First, pull free the top portion of the large vacuum hose at the back of the machine. Then connect the top portion of the machine vacuum hose to the vacuum hose of the Hand Tool. Next, screw brass connection to small diversion valve, ensure it is on tightly to engage.
- Remove the UPPER (white) tank. Mix Britex Upholstery Cleaner with water in a clean bucket according to the label directions and POUR into the LOWER red tank.
- Fit Upper white tank back in place, seal tank and clear dome securely by replacing restraining wire.
- Plug in the power cord and position the machine. Refer to the label on top of machine and turn the machine ON for upholstery cleaning.
- TEST for colourfastness by first cleaning a small, hidden area, then rub the test area with a white towel. If no colour appears, continue cleaning. A little colour on the towel means there's some chance of colour running, but you probably can still clean safely. Dry cushions on sheets or towels laid out on the floor.
- Working at a slow, steady pace, begin cleaning by squeezing the hand tool lever as you pull the tool over fabric. Overlap strokes slightly. IMPORTANT: Do NOT depress the button on machine handle while using the hand tool.
- If foam builds up around the hand tool, pull a little bit faster or vacuum excess solution by passing over area a second time without squeezing lever.
- When cleaning is complete, disconnect the upholstery tool then empty any remaining solution by taking the machine outside or over drain and turn machine ON for upholstery, this will empty lower tank.
- Before returning to store, ensure machine is cleaned according to instructions at back of machine and vacuum hose is securely reconnected. Switch should be in OFF position.
NOTE: For velvet upholstery, fluff up damp pile with a soft brush or towel to keep from matting.
Over-wetting can sometimes result in musty odours due to the carpet remaining damp for too long. If over-wetting occurs, your first step should be to try to remove as much moisture as possible by repeating vacuum-only passes.
DO NOT PRESS RED SPRAY BUTTON.
Over-wetting carpets can sometimes result in musty odours due to the carpet remaining damp for too long.
If over-wetting occurs your first step should be to try to remove as much moisture as possible by repeating vacuum-only passes.
It’s a good idea to rinse the dome filter of the machine even if it doesn’t look blocked to maximize the machine’s vacuum airflow.
Then allow the carpet to dry thoroughly. If weather permits open windows and doors to increase air circulation or use fans, heat or air conditioning to speed the drying process. Problems are rare so it’s likely you won’t experience them.
Rug Doctor machines have extremely powerful vacuum motors and do an excellent job of removing liquid from carpets. However, if a musty smell develops, allow carpet to completely dry and re-clean using Britex Odour Remover combined in the machine. Britex Odour Remover’s active enzymes will attack and consume the odour at its source. Follow the instructions above to help accelerate drying.